Monday, March 7, 2016

March 7, 2016--Week 30

Hey everyone,

This has been a fantastic week mostly, but slightly discouraging. The beginning of this week I was having a really hard time. We have been working incredibly hard all transfer (the last 4ish weeks) to find and teach someone who is ready to be baptized. But we have not had any success and we have been getting hundreds of doors slammed in our face day after day. After a while it really does wear on you. Not to mention, my last district meeting went so bad that I felt like a total failure in pretty much all areas of missionary work I have been assigned to. My Korean has been suffering under increased stress and lack of time or energy to put into adequate studies. And I am in a position I can not immerse myself in the language as my companion needs to learn English too. So needless to say, this week in the beginning was very hard for me. I actually called the zone leaders and ranted about how nothing I do ever brings about any good and how I was unable to see any good from what I have been doing. Then they gave me their two cents and gave me the idea to just stop thinking about, talking about, or believing anything that wasn't all positive and to change my perspective and look only for the good. I figured I would try it and just see what happens. So Tuesday, I didn't say or think much. And Wednesday too. Then Thursday, I was about to give up, but I learned a lesson I needed. The Lord does not test us above that which we are able. As I was about to turn around and give up, I was lifted up and the Lord took my burdens away. That day, on Thursday, Elder Kim and I met with a man named Christopher and a different time we met a man named Richard and were able to have really great lessons in which they both expressed that they wanted to be baptized. 

I truly believe that this is a miracle. If anyone knew them, they would understand that this is truly no coincidence. I am convinced that the Lord gives us trials to the very extent at which we can no longer bear them in order for us to learn to trust in his will better. As my faith was tested, and as I was about to turn back, I was delivered from my trials. After that, this week we have continued to find success after success and I am truly thankful for the tender mercies of the Lord. I love this Gospel! I'm thankful for the opportunity to share it because I know that it is true and through it we can be so much happier than any other way. 

If you could pray for me and my ability to manage my time, energy, and stress better in order to be able to study Korean harder, I would be truly grateful. I am really struggling to be able to deal with my inadequacy to communicate with a people that I love, and want to share the Gospel with, but am currently not able to do so well. On Sunday, in fast and testimony meeting, I got up to bear my testimony in Korean and I can honestly say it was the most humbling experience I have had thus far with the language. I knew I needed to communicate something to the members, but I was incapable of doing so. This is very, very frustrating to me and I really need to be able to do so. I believe in the power of prayer and I would appreciate any prayers in that area. 

I love you all, I hope you have a great week!
--Elder Nickerl

Some random Russian guy who we knocked into his house let us in and gave us roses. Then kicked us out. Not to sure what inspired him to give us flowers, but it was a blessing and it made our night.

Mom, I am so glad that I learned how to cook from you before the mission... I can eat real food and that is a blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment