Monday, March 21, 2016

March 21, 2016--Week 32

Hey everyone,

This has been a super crazy busy week with too much stuff to mention in one email, so I will just keep it to the most important things. First, tomorrow is transfers, I will be staying one more transfer here in the walking area with my new companion Elder Jeon. After that, I’ll probably go English for a little bit. There is a big story behind all that, but it took a super long explanation so if you want it, ask my mom for the email.

Second, we had the best contact of my mission this week. We knocked a random door and the old Korean lady who answered told us she was not interested, but we asked if we could just say a prayer with her to which she agreed and invited us in to kneel down. After we prayed, she gave us water, then fed us a huge meal with a ton of fruit and Korean noodles. Then she gave us kimchi to take home. A LOT of kimchi. Then she gave us about $100 dollars of Korean noodles to take home and another $50 of food. We aren't super sure why, but we were stoked and she was super nice. Here is the food. It doesn't look like much in the picture, but it is a TON.

Also this week, we got permission from President Taggart for the Korean missionaries to contact people in normal clothes, not church clothes. We believe this will truly change things for our area. In all honesty, it sounds like a super bad idea, but if you were here, you would understand. Anyway, with this transfer coming to a close, I am truly grateful for all the help I have had through this transfer via prayers, fasting, and all other things that have made things easier for me. I am grateful for what the Lord is molding me into. I know there is nothing better I could be doing. With general conference coming up, I encourage all of you to go into it with a question in mind that can be answered. If you don't have one, you have two weeks to think. 

With that, I hope you all have a great week!
-Elder Nickerl

P.S.  (From Angela: Here is part of Elder Nickerl’s email that he sent to me earlier explaining what he is referencing in the first paragraph of this email): 

So a few days ago I called President to ask a few questions and we got into talking about the Korean area and what would make it effective. President and I came to the conclusion that this area needed a reformatting and so he asked me to talk with all the Korean Elders to get their opinions and ideas. The thing is about the Korean walking area, is we have no way to work with members without a car and we have no members in the walking area (for English or Korean).  We came up with a few solutions and gave them to President. Our solutions will not take place until next transfer, but President is going to pray about what is the best solution for this area. With either solution, there will only be one Korean companionship in the area. So with that it mind, President told me that because there are currently 8 Korean speaking missionaries, two things could happen, he would either pick 4 of us, and have us be Korean missionaries, or we would all stay Korean speaking missionaries, but none of us would end up learning Korean very well (which would be ineffective). He thoughts were that myself, Elder Jeon, and Elder Trask, and the new incoming missionary will be the 4 Koreans here and he will cycle us out over the next two years and that the others will just become English missionaries. 

And so with all of that, this transfer, I am still in the walking area. I am with Elder Jeon. I like him. He is a great missionary. Elder Trask is training the brand new Korean, and we are making huge changes in our apartment to make it a better place for a new missionary to come in. It will be a lot more focused all around and we are going to get on each other about the little things that are holding us back from exact obedience. It's going to be clean, no more speaking low form to each other, everyone works out every day. Things like that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment