Thursday, September 17, 2015

September 17, 2015--Week 6

This week I feel so blessed I don't even know where to begin. When I say everything went right, I mean EVERYTHING is going so well I can't even put it into words. If there is one thing I have learned that applies to everything this week, it is how much God loves each one of us as individuals and how he cares about the smallest of details that make us happy. If I try and say the biggest highlight of my week, I don't know where to begin, so I'll just list a few.

1. Both of our investigators are rapidly progressing and have both accepted baptismal dates and are keeping all of the commandments. Brother Kim has moved past his one block with his progression (he was having trouble receiving revelation through the Book of Mormon) and has began to find answers to his questions there. We had a really good discussion with him about how to go about reading the Book of Mormon. It was probably our best lesson. That brings me to the next miracle.

2. Our lessons are becoming wayyyy better and more unified. We have stopped going in with English scripts and go in with just Korean scriptures. Because of this, we have been forced to rely fully on the Holy Ghost and are teaching way more by the Spirit. I believe because we are relying on God and not our own preparation, our message is much more heartfelt and true and so our investigators are moving faster. 

3. My Korean is improving a lot more. This week everything just clicked. I don't know what it was, but I run into very few sentences that I can not say at least a simplified version of. As a result, I have set a goal to SYL for the last 8 hours of every day except for P Day and Sunday. It is going to be hard, but I believe the Spirit will help me and I will progress a lot faster. 

4. Yesterday I hosted. And by some miracle, I was one of the people who hosted for early arrivals. As I am going into the building, I see Elder Marquise Jackson walking out of the bathroom and I felt an overwhelming sense of love from God. I know that he orchestrated the whole scenario. So I ran over and hugged him and the person in charge of hosting said I could be the one to host him. So I did. And by chance, he is in the same residence hall as me so we had a nice little reunion last night. 

5. We got a new teacher last night. So in one of our classes we have two teachers instead of one. They can give us a lot more one-on-one time and I feel like that is what I need a lot. So that is another blessing. 

I could truly go on listing all day, but I am running out of time, so I cannot. The Lord is mindful of all of us. He cares about everything. Even if it is just the smallest of things to make us happy, he is mindful. When we keep the commandments, we are blessed. Many people have told me in this life that the commandments are restrictive, but let me tell you, THEY ARE NOT. I do not for one second feel held back by any rule made by God. They are ALL for our benefit. Each one has a specific reason and whether or not we understand why they exist, if we obey them willingly, God will bless us. That is a promise. We are not forced to do anything, we have our agency and when we use our agency to follow God, he is happy. God wants to bless us, all we have to do is let him. I know this is true. I know that God lives. He sent his son Jesus Christ to die for us. So that we can become so much more than we are and that through Christ, we can live with God again. Jesus Christ understands each one of us perfectly, and because of him, we can do anything God commands us to do. There is nothing anyone can do that will separate us from the love of God or Jesus Christ. Because I know this, and there are many who do not, I am serving a mission. Many people have asked me, "Why give up two years of my life?" Because I need to. Because I want to. Because God does not just love me, he loves all of his children, and I know this, but many do not and I want to tell all who will listen to me. This is why I am working so hard to learn Korean and it is  the only reason I am able to. The language isn't for me, it is for others. I am so thankful for my knowledge of the Plan of Salvation. I am thankful for my Savior. I'm thankful that through him, I can live with those that I love forever in the eternities. I love you all. Thank you for your support to me. Keep working hard in all that you do and remember that God knows you and loves you.

Love,

Elder Jacob Nickerl

Story behind this photo: 

I have been praying for about 5 weeks to be able to have the opportunity to host Elder Jackson when he came to the MTC and yesterday, my prayers were answered. He got to the MTC early, and by chance (or not because this isn't a coincidence) I was hosting the early arrivals. He was the first person I hosted. He is also in the same residence hall as I am, so we took a picture last night. It is amazing that the Lord cares about the little things even like this. He is aware of us and our needs/wants.


No comments:

Post a Comment