Sunday, August 30, 2015

August 27, 2015--Week 3

아녕하새요!!

I figured out how to type in Korean, but it's a pain to find the symbols on the keyboard. So English for now still. This has been a really long week. Elder Vidal and I taught a lesson every day still, but we have two investigators now so it's a little harder to work with both. We committed one of them to baptism, but we are only 4 lessons in with him so we don't know where it will go. We are excited though because we were able to actually get to that point speaking Korean. I love my teachers. They are so awesome. Last Sunday, I was called on to give a prayer in Sacrament Meeting (in Korean because we have a full Korean branch). I never thought I would be so scared to say a prayer. Apparently though, I said everything right and didn't make any mistakes. So I am pretty stoked about that. It is amazing to me how much I can learn in a 3 week period of time. 

Question 1: My companion has lived in Salt Lake his whole life, so he is American, but his parents came from Venezuela. We teach very well together. He is basically a dictionary and knows every single vocab word ever been said to him. He is awesome. 
2. Korean is going well all things considered. I understand the missionaries who give talks and most of what my teachers say, but they all use hand signals so it makes it easier, I know enough to be able to ask questions in class and get the point of the lesson. I'll send a picture of some Korean writing with the translation so that you can see the grammar structure. The sentence structure is Subject Object then Verb, so it is very different from English and makes it hard to understand for us. The cord you sent me still doesn't work at the MTC. I don't know how people send pictures so I still can't send them, but I'll do my best to figure it out, I just don't want to spend my computer time doing so.
3. We do service projects twice a week. Usually cleaning different buildings. 
4. I have six people in my room. It is really crowded and I don't know why we have 6, because every other building in the MTC has 4 to a room. They are all in my district though and I like them all. 
5. I am sleeping pretty bad because everyone has been really sick and coughs all night long. So no I haven't been sleeping well. It makes it hard to focus in my night classes, but I do my best.

I never remember what to really say when the time comes to send emails, but I'm still making it through each day. They all blur together except for Sunday. I love Sundays. I have never really appreciated the value of resting from your labors until now. Maybe I wasn't working hard enough pre-mission to understand, but I sure do now. My Branch Presidency is awesome. President Perriton is from New Zealand and so his Korean is super cool. Also we got a new batch of Koreans yesterday. I want to try to be as helpful to them as possible because I remember being in their shoes and being that overwhelmed. Pray for them hahaha. Anyways, it's been a long, but rewarding week. 
아녕ㅇ히가새요!


-Elder Jacob Nickerl 

A day in the classroom!

Korean testimony phrases and their translations.

No comments:

Post a Comment