Sunday, August 23, 2015

August 20, 2015--Week 2

Wow time flies! The first week here went by incredibly slow, but ever since last Prep Day, the time has gone so fast. The language as expected is still a struggle, but it is coming and I know that the Lord has been helping me because there is no other way I could have been able to progress this fast. Yesterday, I taught my first lesson without any script to read from. It was hard, and it didn't flow as well as some of the other lessons Elder Vidal and I have taught, but it felt amazing to be able to speak from the heart in my VERY basic Korean.

In answer to a few questions,
1. Yes we learn Korean similar to other languages like Spanish. Except there are so many more conjugations than Spanish. I swear they have a conjugation for everything. And yes we have been memorizing a lot of vocab. I think I learned probably 200+ words this week.
2. My district is half in states and half in Korea, but the other districts who came with me are all going to Korea. My companion is going to Korea, I can't spell the word in English and in Korean you can't read it anyway so I'll just say he is going central/southwest, South Korea. Three other Elders from my district are going to California Korean speaking and I am the only one going to NJ. However, there is one elder in the oldest group who is going to my mission. I've met him.
3. Sundays are truly the best day of the week. We go to church (in Korean so I don't understand much) and then Priesthood. Then later in the day we have choir and devotional. This last Sunday we sang with the Nashville Tribute Band and that was for our devotional. It was super cool. 
4. My clothes are all great. 
5. My district is all elders, but we are the only district that way, the others all have sisters.
6. For our gym time, we usually play volleyball or soccer. It's pretty fun. We are usually outside in the park in front of the temple, but every once in a while we are in the gym. I try to do pull ups, handstand push ups, and push ups every night before bed, to stay in shape. We have a pull up bar so that is nice.
7. There are a couple things that would be nice. 1. another laundry bag so I can have a white and color bag. 2. Another pair of jeans. Just one of the ones in my box. 3. Another pair of my stance socks (or new ones I don't care). 4. The NT Made Easier books, especially part 2, but all would be good. I think that is all for now, I don't really know, but if I think of anything I will let you know. 

I'm so excited to continue my study of the scriptures, preach my gospel, and Korean. My teachers here are awesome, they are also my investigators, but they are really awesome. Brother Nemelka just came home from Korea, and he is really good at speaking the language. He is such a good teacher and truly makes me want to be a better missionary every time I leave his class. Sister Gardener is my other teacher and she is a super good teacher as well, but Brother Nemelka is just the best. 

This week in our Tuesday night devotional we had Elder Echo Hawk of the 70 speak to us. He reminder us that we never know how much good will come from our teaching. It was an awesome devotional. I love this church and am so glad to be here as a missionary. I know this is the Lord's work. I have felt his love for me this week, but more importantly, he has helped me to feel the love for all of the people I will be serving. I know that New Jersey is where I am supposed to be teaching the Gospel. That is why I wake up and continue on every morning. I know that there are people there who need to be found. In Korean, the word investigator, translates directly to seeker of the road. There are Korean people in NJ who need to find the right road to take. I can't do this on my own, but I was not asked to. Jesus Christ, the most perfect being who ever walked this earth is with me, and with you, every step of the way. And that is why this Gospel is so important. And that is why I am serving, because I want everyone to know exactly what I do. I love this church. It is true. Nothing will change my mind. I wish you all the best of luck.

Until next week,

Elder (Jacob) Nickerl 4

No comments:

Post a Comment