Monday, November 2, 2015

November 2, 2015--Week 13

I don't really ever know what to say in these emails. We just work all day long every day and it doesn't really change all that much from day to day. 

I love the culture, food, and language of the Korean people, but I hate learning to speak and understand people. It is still a challenge and will be probably for the rest of my life. What makes it the hardest to be able to deal with, is when I hear that I won't ever learn Korean completely. Or when people tell me that I won't even be conversational in the end of these two years. I refuse to accept that as true and sometimes when I hear it, I want to get angry, but I do my best to not. I just do not accept that I was called on a Korean speaking mission to not speak the language of this people that I have come to love. I tell people every day that I want to be Korean because they are truly just the most genuine people you can find. Even when they reject our message in a rude way, it doesn't bother me, because I love them as a people. So with that in mind, I hate when I am told that I won't ever be able to communicate with them because I am going to make a promise that I will speak Korean and I am going to be able to teach and talk to people. 

After my rant there, I'll talk about miracles. This week, we had two of our investigators move forward in big ways. Both of them happen to be Chinese. We actually are teaching more Chinese people than Korean. But anyways, we are working with Li and Quan and they both went to church. Quan accepted out baptismal invitation and Li is getting there. Both of them are very willing to learn and are super great people. They both just still need to receive answers to their prayers. Li we think already has, we just need him to accept what he knows already as an answer. 

The coolest experience I have had on my mission though came last night. We were out contacting and we were trying to contact Koreans exclusively. I was getting frustrated and not feeling adequate, when my companion made us stop and say a prayer. I kid you not, right after the prayer, we sat down next to two Korean ladies on a bench and just starting teaching them and they loved that I was trying to learn Korean. They even slowed down what they were saying so that I could kind of understand. After that, we had two people tell us to call them back and gave us their contact info. After our prayer for help, we had three lessons and got 2 peoples contact info. 

It has been an awesome week. I apologize for my scattered thoughts here, I feel like I'm writing the worst letter ever, but I don't have time to go through and think about what I am saying or fix mistakes. 

One more thing though is we have transfers coming up next week and we have no clue what will happen to the Korean program. It is going to change big time and we are all pretty anxious to see what happens. We are excited, but it might bring for big changes next week. I don't have time to say much else, but I want to share my testimony real quickly that God lives. and he loves us. He is not just someone looking down at us hoping things go one way or another. He is leading us and guiding us. He is doing all he can to help us, but still letting us make our own choices. I know that if we just trust in him and his timing, all will be well. 

Have a great week!
-Elder Jacob Nickerl

No comments:

Post a Comment