Tuesday, October 20, 2015

October 19, 2015--Week 11

Hello,

This week flew by so fast I can't believe it is already P-Day again. I honestly don't remember what really happened. We just worked and worked and worked some more. 

On Tuesday I think it was. We had a super cool experience with prayer. It was really cold because the temperature has been rapidly dropping here and we weren't ready for it. Neither my companion or I had sweaters or anything to keep us warm. We had been contacting all day in an area about 2 hours from our house by walking and so we couldn't get home to get sweaters. So we were cold, tired, and no one would stop to even listen for a second to anything we had to say. We had been getting rejected for about 3 hours straight without even a conversation and it was about 8:00 so we just wanted to have the other Elders come pick us up so that we could go to our apartment and eat dinner. To back up a little bit, that morning we weren't sure where to contact, so we said a prayer. Elder Koo felt like this was where we needed to contact for the day. So we were confident and ready to contact all day, but now to go back to 8:00ish, we no longer felt confident or ready to talk to anyone else. We were frustrated and discouraged because we felt like we should have found someone because this is where we received our answer to go for the day. We didn't know what else to do, so we decided to say another prayer. After the prayer, we felt that we should keep going down the path in the park that we were in. So we kept going, and we kept trying to contact, and people kept rejecting our approach. We were about ready to give up, but we decided to talk to one more person. So we met a lady named Cathy. She was at the park with her son Christopher. They were very friendly and were willing to listen to us. We taught them a little bit and then set up a return appointment for this Wednesday. So I still don't know what will happen with her, but I believe we didn't go through all of that for nothing. She is the reason we were in that area that day and I am excited to meet with her. This may not seem like a very big deal to all of you, but this was an answer to our prayers after a really hard day. This was God's way of telling us that he was still there and hadn't forgotten about us. After this, while we were waiting for the other Elders to pick us up, we met one other lady and her son from the Dominican Rep. And we taught her a little bit in Spanglish and got her info. We referred her to the Spanish sisters so that they can teach her. This whole experience reminds me of Ether 12:27. Our witness will come after the trial of our faith. 

I have so many cool experiences that happened like that one this week, but I can't type them all out. We have a few hopeful investigators and had a few wonderful teaching experiences with them this week. I am excited about our progress. We started in a hard place even for the Korean area and we are working hard to find people because we had like no one two weeks ago. 

The language is starting to come. I understood all of what happened in our last lesson last night, but I think that was just a one time thing because of the Spirit, because that lesson went really well and I think I needed to be able to understand in order to be able to testify by the Spirit in that case. To me, that is amazing, because I really don't speak Korean, I really don't understand it, and for me to be able to communicate what the Lord needed me to at the time, is a miracle. That shows how God can use us as imperfect as we are, and make us more than we ever could be without him. Through God, we can do anything that he needs us to do. 

I love my mission. The time is already flying by and although I am not even close to being good at teaching, or speaking good Korean, or even being good at talking to people, it doesn't matter because I am doing my best, and because of the Atonement of Jesus Christ, that is enough. I am thankful for all of your prayers and support. I can feel them especially when I don't feel adequate to do what I need to here. I hope you all have a wonderful week.

-Elder Jacob Nickerl

No comments:

Post a Comment